Frequently Asked Questions

Main Office: (205)348-3326 | Other Offices


How do I waitlist myself for a class?

First, check the column in the class search to see if a waitlist is available. Then type the CRN of the course directly into the worksheet. Click on submit changes. You will receive an error message that allows you to waitlist.

I have a hold on my registration. How do I find out what it is?

Click on the link entitled "Student Records". Then click the link entitled "view holds". Information on the hold will be displayed.

How can I search for core courses?

In the class search menu click and drag your mouse to highlight all of the subjects in the Subject search box. Select the type of core class you want to search on the in Attributes Type box. Click on the class search button at the bottom of the page. You should then be able to view a list by subject of all classes that carry the core designation you selected.

I can't see my full schedule. The first two days are blank. Where is the remainder of my class schedule?

The Week at a Glance schedule is identical to the semester calendar. Since classes start on Wednesday, you are seeing the exact schedule of the week from the first day of class forward. Use the Next Week function to advance and see the full week schedule.

For More questions go to UA Registrar


Where do I find the online application?

To apply for housing, click here and log in, using the user name and password assigned by Undergraduate Admissions.

When should I submit my housing application?

You should apply for housing as soon as you are admitted to the University and pay your $200.00 Freshman Enrollment Deposit. The date on which you can first select your residence hall room is determined by 1) your housing application date, 2) living-learning community participation, if any, and 3) any special needs. In other words, the earlier you apply for housing, the sooner you get to pick your room and the more choices you will have.

How do I apply for summer housing?

To apply for summer housing, go to myBama and log in, using the user name and password assigned by Undergraduate Admissions. The link to the housing application is located in the "Currently on myBama" section. Select the summer term(s) that you need. Most summer housing will be in the Bluff; however, incoming freshmen will be assigned to Ridgecrest East. The proposed summer rates can be found here.

What should I do if I need special housing accommodations?

If you have a medical need affecting your housing, please fax your request, along with detailed medical documentation on your physician's letterhead, to Housing and Residential Communities at 205-348-7135. Please note, special accommodation is not made in cases of ADD or ADHD.

Do all freshmen have to live on campus?

Due to the many social and academic benefits associated with living on campus, all incoming freshmen are expected to live on campus, unless exempt from this requirement. Students who will live in the legal residence of their parent or guardian may be exempt from living on campus. Other requests will be considered on a case by case basis.

What if I apply for housing and decide not to attend UA?

If you do not attend the University, you can receive a refund of your $225.00 prepayment. To cancel your housing application, e-mail Include your CWID, name, and the the reason you are cancelling your application. Because the prepayment is refundable, you are strongly urged to apply for housing, even if you have not made your final decision regarding the school you will attend. Your room selection date is determined in part by the date that you apply for housing.

Can I live anywhere on campus during my freshman year?

You will be eligible for certain residence halls based upon your freshman status, your gender, and any living-learning community participation. For example, you must be a male student in the College of Engineering in order to be eligible to live in Bryant Hall. Students must be admitted to the Honors College in order to live in Honors Housing. Other living-learning communities are connected to other residence halls. The residence halls that you are eligible to select will show up for you during online room selection.

What is a living-learning community?

Living-learning communities connect a student's academic interests with his/her living environment, providing a supportive environment in which residents have a shared college, major, or academic program. There are many different living-learning communities at UA, with varying requirements for admission and different expectations for participants. Please note, participants in some living-learning communities will be assigned by the HRC assignments staff and require application to, and acceptance by, the program before assignment can be made.

Can I move into honors housing after my freshman year?

According to current HRC policy, only current residents and incoming freshmen in the Honors College can select a space in honors housing. Please keep that in mind as you select your housing for your freshman year.

Can I move anywhere I want on campus after my freshman year?

You will have many choices as a sophomore and above, but these will be determined, in part, by gender and by living-learning community participation. You also have the ability to move off campus beginning as a sophomore.

For More questions go to UA Housing


How do I access my student's grades?

FERPA, or the Family Education Rights Privacy Act, is federal legislation that prohibits the academic records of anyone enrolled in a post secondary institution regardless of age. The best way to stay up to date on your student's progress is to check in with them periodically. Ask questions about their classes and how their exams are going.
A student may also submit a release form that would designate to whom they authorize the release of non directory information. This form is available on the Registrar webpage at The release of academic information would also be possible if the student is listed as a dependent on the parent's most recent federal income return. A copy of the return and proper identification would be required for release.

Where can my student purchase textbooks?

Your student can purchase books at the SUPe Store (Ferguson Center or Tutwiler Hall). They can be reserved online at

My student needs help with study habits?

Contact the Center for Teaching and Learning at 348-5175 visit . They have many different tutors and different tutoring class that can help in any subject that your student might need help in. There is also a class that is geared toward helping freshmen in particular adjust to college life. To look at a list of the University's class offerings, go to, and then go to the catalog.

How can I contact a professor?

Your student should be in contact with their professors. When a student is enrolled in the class, the professor gives out a syllabus with his or her office hours and an email address. Due to FERPA (see above information) the professor should only communicate academic related information with your student.

How big are classes at UA?

Our student-to-faculty ratio is 19:1. Some of your classes might have large lecture sections with smaller discussion or lab sections that provide more individualized attention. Many more classes, including freshman composition, will be small and will include lots of student-faculty interaction.

For More questions go to UA Parents

Greek Life

Why should I join a Greek organization at Alabama?

Since 1847 Greek Life has been a respected part of student life on the University of Alabama campus. In joining one of Alabama's 50 NPC, NPHC or IFC groups, you will become a member of a community that encourages academic excellence and provides opportunities for leadership development, community service, mentor relationships with alumni and alumnae, career development, participation in athletics, social and intellectual growth and the opportunity to make lifelong friendships.
Where can I find answers to my recruitment questions or register for IFC/Panhellenic Fall Recruitment?

Visit the Alabama Greek Website to register for recruitment OR For More Information Visit:

- Alabama Panhellenic Association Website:
- National Pan-Hellenic Council Website:
- Inter-fraternity Council Website:

What are the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC), the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC), and the North American Interfraternity Conference (NIC)?

NPC, NPHC and NIC are the international umbrella organizations for the councils, which operate on the University of Alabama campus. They are either governing bodies or trade associations, which include the membership or associate membership of the Greek organizations on the University of Alabama campus. Their purpose on an international level is to promote interaction and exchange of information and develop programming and initiatives to benefit the Greek Community.

The Alabama Panhellenic Association (Panhellenic), the Alabama National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) and Alabama Interfraternity Council (IFC) are the governing bodies at the University of Alabama for the organizations affiliated or associated with NPC, NPHC or NIC. The Alabama Panhellenic Association and the Alabama IFC participate in a process known as Formal Recruitment. Alabama's National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) participates in a process known as Intake.


The 18 women's groups that are affiliated or associated with Panhellenic at Alabama are: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Delta Sigma, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Zeta, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Delta Tau, Zeta Tau Alpha

What is Formal Recruitment for NPC (Panhellenic) sororities?

Formal Recruitment is the official process associated with joining a sorority that is affiliated with the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) at the University of Alabama and it is the first opportunity of the school year to join an NPC Greek organization at the Capstone.

When do I need to register for Panhellenic Recruitment?

August 1st is the priority deadline for recruitment; however, as soon as you know you are going to participate, you are encouraged to register so that you will receive your recruitment materials in plenty of time to review them prior to the start of recruitment!

Do I need to attend Convocation and all recruitment events during Formal Recruitment for the Alabama Panhellenic Association?

Absolutely! In order to fully understand the requirements, process, importance, and options of Greek Life at the University of Alabama, attendance is mandatory for convocation and all recruitment events during Panhellenic Formal Recruitment. By missing an event, you are limiting your opportunities to meet sorority members and other potential new members. Because each sorority offers a unique quality to the Greek community at the University of Alabama, it is important that you get a broad perspective of what each one contributes and not limit your options by restricting your attendance. Panhellenic works with all individuals on a individual basis if they are involved in another university activity that may make it impossible to attend all events such as band, athletics and Alabama Action.

What does it mean to "Maximize My Choices"?

The process of NPC recruitment is one of mutual selection, which means the Potential New Member chooses the sorority and the sorority chooses her. The Recruitment Counselors will discuss what it means to "maximize your choices" more in depth at Convocation and through the week of recruitment. However, as you are thinking about the week of recruitment please keep in mind these ways in which you are certain to "maximize your choices": 1) Go into the process with an open mind 2) Choose the highest number of parties you can go back to each day during Formal Recruitment. 3) Completely fill out your online preference card on the final night including on your list all chapters at which you attended an event that evening.

What are the financial obligations of being in a sorority at the University of Alabama?

Each chapter has a financial requirement, which should be taken into consideration. Financial requirements may include membership dues, which support the local chapter and the national or international organization, facility fees, board and room (if living in the facility). Although these will vary slightly from chapter to chapter, the averages for the womenÕs groups are listed on the Panhellenic Cost sheet.

Each organizationÕs fees vary. Not every organization requires every fee listed above, but all organizations cover each expense through one of the fees listed. The numbers listed are a good representation of the financial obligation of membership in a University of Alabama sorority. Some of the fees are one-time only fees or only apply if the member lives-in or lives-out of the facility.

For More questions go to UA Greek Life


What if my student experiences a medical emergency and has to miss class due to hospitalization?

If your student has been hospitalized, please contact the Student Care & Wellbeing office at (205) 348-2461. Our office will send instructor notifications to your student's professors. The notification is not an official excuse, therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to follow up with their professors regarding their absence.

What if my student has a mental health emergency (suicidal behaviors, alarming mental health behaviors)?

If it is an immediate concern for the safety of the student or others please contact the UA police Department at (205) 348-5454. For all other services available please contact the Student Care & Wellbeing office at (205) 348-2461 or the UA counseling center at (205) 348-3863.